Friday, October 13, 2006

Unbearable Fox

I might have to start watching the ALCS with the TV on mute.

In the second inning of today's game, Lyons said something about Pinella speaking in Spanish and then said he was worried that Lou was going to steal his wallet. What the hell? Was that some sort of racist comment? It was so confusing I couldn't even tell.

Here is my best attempt to recreate the moment:

Pinella: "He needs to be (something in Spanish) and infuego."

Brenneman: (Paraphrasing here) Wow, Pinella is bilingual.

Lyons: "I'm just worried about my wallet."

Confused silence.

Brenneman: (Tries out the Pinella/bilingual line again).

Lyons: "I don't know what he just said, but now I'm scared to sit next to him and worried about him stealing my wallet."

Pinella: Awkward chuckling.

Again, I ask ... what in the hell is going on? What could Lyons have possible meant?

Then, as if he were trying to top himself, Lyons then used the word "gription" when discussing pitchers trying to get a good grip on the ball.

Meanwhile, Thom Brenneman continues to be the most over-the-top play-by-play guy on the network, which seems, as a practical matter, to be an impossibility given the presence of Joe Buck on said network. But ever since Thom went "gunning for the Emmy" during the 2003 ALDS when he berated Manny Ramirez for about five minutes for celebrating a home run, he's grown increasingly unbearable. He's moved into Mike Patrick territory in the booth.

To top it all off, we've got Lou Pinella offering up five-word sentences that take 30 seconds to get out. I like Lou, but holy hell, he can't talk! How is that particular trait suitable for broadcasting?

Are we looking at the worst broadcasting team ever assembled?

No comments: